Bang Pa-In Royal Palace

The Bang Pa-In Royal Palace was originally built by King Prasat Thong in 1632, allegedly in the homeland of his mother, who had been impregnated by the previous king when he was shipwrecked here.

A few miles down the Maenam Chao Phraya from Ayutthaya is the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace. The site was first used by the royal court as a summer retreat in the 17th century. However, the Palace was destroyed with the fall of Kingdom of Ayutthaya and was restored by King Rama IV in the mid-19th century. Most of the buildings that exist today date from the reign of King Rama V, who regularly spent his summers there. The structures represent a variety of architectural styles, set in a large park around ponds and waterways.